A pickup truck makes hauling heavy cargo less stressful. It has a generous allowance, hence increasing storage room and payload capacity. But once in a while, you might need a couple of extra feet of space to accommodate extra-long items. That’s where truck bed extenders come in handy. They expand the usable space, making them a lifesaver for hauling long, unwieldy items, such as kayaks and lumber. But how do you choose the best truck bed extender that will suit your driving lifestyle?
Well, having a truck bed extender is a huge benefit. However, choosing the best is one hell of a task. So, how about we make it easier for you? This article looks at some of the best models on the market. Read more to find one that suits your needs as well as the type of your vehicle.
Table of the Best Truck Bed Extenders Reviews
10. ECOTRIC Pick Up Truck Bed Extenders – Extension Rack for Canoe Boat Kayak Lumber
Generous cargo space is among the benefits of owning a truck. Well, the ECOTRIC truck bed extender gives even more space and weight allowance. Moreover, it’s fully adjustable, making it even more versatile. For instance, you can adjust the width from 29 to 49 inches to accommodate more load. Alternatively, you can adjust the height by 4 to 10 inches for taller items.
This truck bed extender is 55 inches long. Together with the bed length, it can haul longer loads, including canoes, kayaks, and lumber. Furthermore, it supports loads as heavy as 750 pounds. Well, this truck bed extender fits trucks with 2-inch hitch receivers. However, with an adapter, it can fit 1.25-inch receivers.
- Adjustable width and height
- Heavy-duty steel tubing supports 750 pounds of distributed load
- Safety flag makes you more visible to other motorists
9. MaxxHaul 70231 Hitch Mount Truck Bed Extenders for Ladder, Rack, Canoe, Kayak, Long Pipes and Lumber
MaxxHaul 70231 is versatile enough for use vertically or horizontally. Not to mention, it’s compatible with 2-inch hitch receivers. So, aside from pickup trucks, this truck bed extender can be used with other vehicles. The powder-coated frame makes it rust-resistant. Hence, it can withstand harsh weather conditions.
Moreover, it has an adjustable width (28.25 to 48.75 inches) and height. As such, it’s suitable for hauling different types of cargo. After use, the side arms fold to double as a work area. Thanks to quick-release pins, it’s easy to install or take down. It’s a useful feature, especially when in a hurry. This truck bed extender hauls loads as heavy as 350 pounds.
- Quick-release clevis pins for easy on and off
- Foldable side arms create a portable work area
- Reflective tape for added safety
- Adjustable width and height accommodate loads of different shapes and sizes
8. Spurtar U-Shape Truck Bed Extenders – Aluminum Universal Tailgate Extender for Pickup Trucks
This tailgate truck bed extender gives you 26 extra inches of enclosed cargo space. The enclosed U-shaped design makes it ideal for keeping loose items. Not to mention, you can use it with the tailgate up or down, making it more versatile.
Moreover, it adopts a high-torque clam-shell design. Made of powder-coat aluminium, it’s pretty durable and light at the same time. That makes it convenient for everyday use. Also, this tailgate extender comes with clips that attach to the interior edge of the truck bed. So, no drilling is required.
- The high-torque clam-shell design keeps items from slipping out
- Clip-on installation for easy on and off
- Lightweight aluminium tubes make it easy to lift and flip around
7. AMP Research Black BedXTender HD Max Truck Bed Extender
This is another tailgate truck bed extender. It adopts a U-shaped design that adds 2 feet of cargo space. Not to mention, you can flip it over to accommodate small tools. So, this is a truck bed extender with twin functionality.
High-grade aluminium tubes make it pretty sturdy and light at the same time. There’s minimum space between the tubes to prevent smaller items from slipping away. Also, the tubes have a special powder coating. As such, it’s resistant to rust, corrosion, and extreme weather conditions.
- U-shaped design and cover rails keep items from slipping away
- Flips in or out for added versatility
- Torque-resistant aluminium clam-shell design provides lifetime durability
6. SUNCOO Pick Up Truck Bed Hitch Extender – Adjustable Steel Extension Rack
Are you looking for a truck bed extender to haul long items? Well, look no further than this truck bed hitch extender. It provides the flexibility to adjust both the height and width. You can adjust the width from 28.7 to 47.6 inches. Likewise, you can set the height from 20.6 to 28.5 inches. That makes it ideal for hauling items of different dimensions.
The powder-coat steel construction makes it resistant to rust and corrosion. At the same time, it’s sturdy enough to haul up to 720 pounds. Furthermore, this truck bed extender comes with quick-release clevis pins. As such, it allows quick tool-free setup and takedown.
- Quick-release pins for tool-free assembly and takedown
- High-end steel material supports up to 720 pounds
- Adjust-ability options to accommodate loads of varying dimensions
5. LUND 601021 Hitch Mounted Truck Bed Extenders
Lund is a brand that makes hauling things easier and enjoyable. Among its best creations is the 601021 hitch truck bed extender. It’s built for heavy-duty hauling, holding up to 750 pounds of distributed load. Also, it has 7 inches of ground clearance. That makes it suitable for hauling long items while keeping them off the ground.
Moreover, it has two side wings that provide an adjustable width of 27 to 49 inches. You can fold them down to create a portable work area. Again, this truck bed extender adopts a 3-piece design for easy setup. It includes reflective strips and a red flag for added security on the road.
- 7-inch ground clearance keeps long loads off the ground
- Heavy-duty built supports 750 pounds
- 3-piece design for quick setup
- Adjustable side wings give more flexibility
4. New MTN Gearsmith Heavy Duty Pickup Truck Bed Hitch Mounted Extender Rack
With a 750-pound rating, this hitch truck bed extender will surely suit all your hauling needs. It’s fully customizable. You can adjust the width from 28.25 to 48.75 to accommodate loads of different dimensions. At the same time, you can increase the height by 4 to 10 inches to match the bed height.
Quick-release clevis pins make it a cinch to set up and takedown. Also, it has reflective strips for added visibility on the road. Though it fits 2-inch hitch receivers, it can be modified to fit 1-1/4-inch receivers.
- Fully customizable arms accommodate loads of different dimensions
- Durable powder-coated steel for strength and durability
- Bright orange flag for added safety on the road
3. Spurtar V-Shape Bed Extender for Trucks with Bracket Mounting Kit
Unlike the classic U-shaped version, this tailgate truck bed extender has sleek angles and tapered shape. Hence, it has a sportier look. You can flip it out to provide 2 extra feet of cargo space. Not to mention, you can flip it in to create a cozy storage space for smaller items.
Again, it has horizontal bars that come in lightweight aluminium alloy. The bars keep small items from sliding off the truck bed. Moreover, this truck bed extender has two strong buckles to secure it in place. Thanks to durable powder coat finish, it holds up well under harsh weather conditions.
- The V-shaped design keeps smaller cargo enclosed
- Aluminium alloy and powder coating provide longevity
- Torque-resistant clam-shell design
2. Goplus Pick up Truck Bed Hitch Extender
Goplus truck bed extender is another heavy-duty option for long loads. Hence, if you own a kayak, canoe, or want to transport lumber, this truck bed extender might be your best bet. Also, it has multiple adjustments, which provide a great deal of flexibility. It has a height range of 12 to 19 inches and a width of 29 to 49 inches.
As mentioned earlier, Goplus adopts a heavy-duty design. It uses high-grade steel, making it strong enough to haul up to 750 pounds. Not only is it strong but also durable. It can withstand regular wear and tear as well as hold up to harsh weather conditions. Furthermore, this bed extender fits 2-inch receivers. Thus, it’s compatible with the majority of trucks.
- Adjustable vertically and horizontally to maximize carrying capacity
- High-grade steel supports 750 pounds
- Heavy-duty option for hauling long loads, such as kayaks, canoes, and lumber
1. Genuine Ford Pickup Bed Extender
Aside from creating extra cargo space, this bed extender doubles as a storage unit for tools and smaller items. With the tailgate down, this bed extender gives you 2 extra feet of cargo space. Also, it adopts a sturdy built to hold and contain heavy loads. For the record, it uses powder-coated steel for weatherproof performance.
Quick-release mounting brackets allow easy setup and takedown. Not to mention, the bed extender has adjustable straps to secure it in place. Once locked, this bed extender can be removed. It’s more of a safety mechanism to prevent theft. Genuine Ford bed extender is DOT compliant. Hence, it doesn’t come in the way of your taillights.
- DOT compliant design enhances road safety
- Doubles as a storage unit for smaller items
- Quick-release brackets for easy on and off
- The lockable design prevents potential theft